onsdag 25. februar 2009

Environmental and business thinking in one

Just a short post now when being back in Shanghai again, since I promised to post some photos from the journey. Actually I (un-intentionally) lied to you when writing this, because when browsing the photos I've taken there is really just one that I think is of good enough quality to make it to this blog. For those of you who have been to Kuala Lumpur you will probably recognize the Petronas Towers!

What you might not know is that Elkem has delivered microsilica to the construction of this building. Microsilica is a product that is captured from the smoke at silicon metal plants. Before Elkem invented filters for the smoke some 25 years ago all silicon plants - including our own which was the reason for trying to solve it - around the world polluted the air with it. After designing the filters we actually found out that the "powderish" microsilica gives a lot of benefit for the strenght of concrete and some other materials. This is good environmental and business thinking in one according to me!

This is also one of the reasons that I like working in an industrial company. Even though research runs may take long time and the products may not be as visible or "sexy" as consumer goods tend to be or at least are viewed as, innovations tend to get a large effect on the world, the business is often very international and customer relationships typically longlasting, which all are aspects that I like in my job.